A Shpadoinkle Rag
Uploaded on Jul 8, 2013
I composed this darling little piece as a challenge from a friend who asked if I could compose a ragtime variation of the song "Shpadoinkle Day" from "Cannibal! The Musical"—and I thought I was up to the task. It is definitely a derivative composition, and is intended to be. It uses techniques and touches from a number of other ragtimes (including my own), but I think it melds them together in a very fun and pleasing way.
And for Sepehr, Giuseppe, Tata, and others who may wonder at the term "shpadoinkle": it is completely a made up word, created by Trey Parker as filler word in his song lyrics until he thought of a better word to replace it—which, apparently, he never did:
an exclamation: a word to express emotion
adj: to declare something good, bad, or otherwise
"It's a shpadoinkle day!"
"SHPADOINKLE! I think I broke my leg."
This piece only took me a couple of hours to compose, once I finally got past a lot of writer's block. After I decided to make it almost a parody of a ragtime piece—to make it a little "over the top"—I suddenly had the feel that I wanted and was able to give the piece its own personality and flair without doing too much damage to the ragtime genre.
I hope you agree and I hope you enjoy it!
|Key signature||5 flats|
|Privacy||Everyone can see this score|
|License||None (All rights reserved)|
This score appears in:
- Ragtime compositions and arrangements by Arthur Breur (set)
- Quirky (set)
- Piano (set)
- MuseScore Composers (group)
- The Ragtime Players (group)
- Original Compositions (group)
- USA Composers (group)
- The Master Composers|Arrangers (group)
- The Composers League (group)
- The Awesome Piano Players (group)
- Piano (group)
- Piano Compositions (group)
- Male Composers Group (group)
- Piano Company (group)
- So You Think You Can Compose? (group)
- LGBT Composers and Songwriters (group)
- The Ragtime Composers (group)