Hello everyone! The 2018 Drum Corps season is over, and I figured it was time for me to start this group up again. Therefore, I've decided to hold the first competition that I talked about in this groups' other post!
This first competition is basically a test. It's just for fun, you could say. If enough people participate, I'll hold another one in the future, and possibly include some level of prizes. Just depends on how many people participate!
I thought we'd start off easy. Create a drum corps style arrangement from any piece (s) written by Ludwig van Beethoven. The arrangement should be longer than one minute in length, but no more than three. You can include percussion if you want, but just brass would be alright too! When you have something completed, post it to MuseScore and post a link to it in a comment on this post. I'll live submissions open until a week from today, Tuesday 9/18 at around 2:00 PM EST.
If you have any comments or questions, leave them below!
Does anyone here know how to use the sampler? I'd really like to use it for arranging indoor percussion pieces I think it'd be very useful but I just can't figure it out I have been looking everywhere.
I am a percussionist who loves to write percussion parts, but there is a issue that bugged me for a very long time - there are only few cymbal sounds/notations.
I believe that one way that an arranger could make the music lively is through usage of various cymbals. However, Musescore is stuck with only few cymbal sounds and they are extremely basic (splash, crash, china, HH, hand crash). My suggestion is that more cymbals should be added through MDL. Marching art is one of the fields of music that uses heaps of cymbals, and MDL is a great chance to elaborate on Musescore's depressing number of cymbals.
Here are some of my suggestions:
- Cymbal chokes
- Swish knocker (sizzle)
- Cymbal rolls + gong roll
- Zil-bel, bell plate, ect.
- More splash (china, trashformer, ect.)
Adding these cymbals will definitely make the marching band/DCI arrangement very lively and interesting to listen to.
Hey guys, i've been taking my High school's show and putting it into musescore so we can have an audio version to practice with personally, but I am struggling with the drumline. Here is the score: https://musescore.com/user/7466921/scores/5199475#comments if anyone knows why I can't upload the drumline parts please let me know!
Hey everyone, this is going to be a recurring ad that I spread across the marching band/dci community.
That's right, I offer only the best and the most thoughtful percussion/drumline for any DCI or marching band show thrown at me. I've been writing drumline music (let's just call it book) for about 5 years now. I've practiced a lot through writing book on paper or on Sibelius---making the change to Musescore but that option is still available---in order to produce very nuanced and meticulous book that works for any kind of show. I am currently the caption head and percussion arranger for Perris High School as well as Front Ensemble/Percussion co-arranger for Lindenhurst Senior HIgh School.
I can provide any type of examples of how I write on moment's notice as well!
If you are interested, please don't hesitate to add me on Facebook, or shoot me an email at email@example.com. I'd love to work with you!
I've been working with Musescore's software to write music for my drum line group, but when we go back to play the music the Unison Bass Clicks and Hits are always silent? Does anyone know a solution to make them have the sounds they're suppose to?
Do you typically try to support users here or in the general support forums? MDL looks good so far. But navigating Musescore's website is rather lame especially trying to search for specific problems. I'm having better luck with Google using inurl:musescore.com
Just wondering if you guys have an inside hack for support, or are you just paining through reading all of the support forums looking for MDL related stuff.
Here is a support question for you guys:
I have installed Musescore 2.3 and MDL 1.1, but nothing I do seems to get the new sounds to work with my old scores. For some reason, saving to score does not work. What do I need to do?
When will the suspended cymbal be added
does MDL support additional soundfonts? this is pretty much going to determine whether I get it or not.
I seem to be having an issue trying to upload a score with MDL sounds... I haven't had this problem until now and I've tried both saving synth to score and save to online in the application. I always get a very long processing screen and then a blank page. The download link also provides only errors, however when I go to update the score the file is there.
Please help! I just upgraded to Musescore 2.3.2. I have been trying to install the MDL extension. It appears to be installing. It will get past "Please wait, loading soundfonts..." then it will sit there for a little while and then Musescore will close. When I open it back up there are only a few soundfonts under Zerberus in the Synthesizer. This last time it loaded MDL_BassLine.sfz, MDL_CymbalLine.sfz, MDL_DrumSet.sfz, MDL_Flubs.sfz, and MDL_Snare.sfz. I have tried to manually add the rest of them and can add a couple, but there are a couple that when I try to add it tells me "Cannot load SoundFont C:/Users/Owner/Documents/MuseScore2/Extensions/mdl/1.1/sfzs/MDL_TenorLine.sfz"
My system requirements far exceed the minimum requirements for the software.
Can someone please help!
Ever wanted to get paid just to drum, talk about drumming, think about drumming - all day long?
Do you love technology, internet, social media?
Interested to work in a fast-paced, Rock 'n' Roll environment - literally (company was recently acquired by Ultimate Guitar)?
MuseScore, one of the world’s largest community for musicians, is looking for a Community Manager - Percussion to join our fast-growing team.
- Chops - DCI/WGI level
- Live to drum, love to write for percussion
- Able to work independently, see an opportunity and act
- Able to create a plan and execute against metrics
- Comfortable speaking on camera (instructional video, webcasts, interviews, etc.)
- Proficient with all forms of social media
- Experience with video or audio a definite plus
- Knowledge of all forms of percussion - drum set, concert percussion, keyboard percussion, with a deep knowledge of marching percussion
- University degree is NOT required - we care more about your practical knowledge, skills, creativity
What You’ll Do:
- Manage all percussion-related activities and content on Musescore.com
- Responsible for user growth and increased engagement within percussion segment
- Propose YOUR ideas for innovative solutions to reach goals
- Manage the development of MuseScore Drumline 2.0 (next generation of current product https://musescore.org/en/mdl)
- Be engaged in entire MDL development process - design, built, launch, support
- Manage relationships with percussion brands and influencers
- Have freedom to solve complex tasks and use non-standard approaches.
- Travel to and present at top conferences and events - PASIC, BOA, WGI, DCI, TMEA, etc.
Why Work With Us:
- Get paid well doing something you truly love
- Opportunity to make a major impact in percussion education
- Travel - not only experience life overseas, but regularly return to US for conferences & events
- Opportunity to learn new skills or explore different responsibility on the project. BTW - we have no hierarchy, only responsibilities
- A literal Rock 'n' Roll atmosphere and approach to development
- Beautiful office in the city center and no dress code
- We work differently - 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Breakfast, soup, sandwiches served free throughout the day
- Push a button and get a coffee, tea, coke or even a Jack Daniel’s delivered to your desk
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should simply send a brief email outlining their qualifications/experience (full resume/CV optional) to daniel@muses**re.com with subject - Community Manager - Percussion.
Candidates should be prepared for a brief 10-15 minute discussion via FaceTime/Google Meet. Understanding that many potential candidates could likely be currently touring, bandcamping, etc., we can be very flexible in accommodating schedule.
P.S. - Job is located in Europe. Candidates should be prepared to relocate, but with frequent travel to US. Relocation expenses covered by company.
1.1 was released today.
The balance of sound should be increased if using 2.3.1 and will be VERY increased if using 2.3.2. :-)
PLEASE give feedback for continued improvement. Hope to get another release out within a week or so.
In the next release will be emphasis on making sure all hits are more even and consistent.
Cymbals will, unfortunately, not be addressed in the next release, but all other instruments can be adjusted.
Hey everyone, getting ready to release MDL 1.1 and as part of this have put together the first part of an Official Notation Guide.
It can be found here - https://musescore.com/user/29165763/sets/5097225
This will be followed up with tutorials that explain in more detail the best practices for marching percussion notation.
Tip: If you do not use the MDL templates, be sure to change the musical symbol font to Bravura (Style > General > Score). MDL is ONLY supported in Bravura.
I'm working on the MDL 1.1 update that I'm trying to get out ASAP.
Curious to see any requests that I might be able to sneak in.
Currently in are:
- Increased volume of all instruments and articulation
- Refined notation standard (a few minor improvements - will release with notation guide)
- Improved templates
- Evened out hits a bit across all instruments/articulations (this will be an ongoing effort)
- Fixed issue with adding accents or articulations to buzz/crush/roll
Cymbals and show style tenors are currently placeholder and will be addressed in a future update. Will be recording new samples (only instruments without custom samples).
The plan is to update MDL moving forward on a regular schedule. After 1.1.0 we should plan to update every weekly for the time being.
So, any urgent requests for 1.1?
1) Regarding bass drum unison audio playback (F key) for 5 bass drums - For upcoming MDL updates would it be possible to obtain an audio sample of a 5 bass drum unison hit (as opposed to a 6 bass drum line)? When I write battery scores for 5 bass drums and there's a unison hit, you can definitely hear the bottom bass 6 overtone more than drums 1-5 and the pitch is much lower and beefier on #6 than bass 5.
2) I'm having difficulty getting proper audio playback of 1-to-2 measure Crescendo and Decrescendo (from Piano to Forte). Audio play back simply goes from Piano on 1 bar to Forte the next. Any suggestions on how I can fix that?