Quite few compositions in this group seem to be about various types of critters -toads, mosquitoes, birds, horses, does sponge bob count as a critter?- do let's have a new exciting contest. You are invited to submit your original critter composition, about any creature you want, as many entries as you want. First, second, and third place winners will be announced after Dec 15. Doesn't this sound exciting? It should since we already have some really great pieces that are of course automatically entered into the contest. As always, we like music that is funny and silly so get those compositions entered and good luck to all.
NEW CONTEST (Oct 4, 2014)
***Design YOUR OWN MUSICAL SIGNATURE MOTIF Contest***
Put your name to music. That’s right, immortalize yourself in musical notes. You could have your own signature musical motif just like some of the great composers. All you need to do is compose an original composition assigning the letters of your name to musical notes. Be creative and use any rhythm and harmonies you want as well as any length of composition and any instrumentation. Use any system you want for assigning musical notes to letters. As an examples, a simple cypher for converting letters to notes might be as follows:
Letter: A b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Note: a b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c d e
Octave 1 octave 2 octave 3 octave 4
Thus, if your name were ‘chinadoll’, your musical signature would be:
C A B G A D A E E
So, give it a try for fun and submit your cool tune to this new wacky contest. Anyone can join. End of the contest will be Jan 15.
New contest 7-18-14
Ok, admittedly, the last contest was a fiasco but this is a real contest, honest. There will be no reanimated judges, no secret invisible winning compositions, no fake winning free trip to a tropical paradise. Instead, here is the deal:
1. only compositions that are actually visible to all can be submitted and entered.
2. The administrator chinadoll (who will not be allowed to enter the contest) will be the sole judge.
3. Entries must be original compositions.
4. Each person entering may submit multiple compositions.
5. Any composition either already posted or newly posted between 7-18 and 10-31 may be entered. to enter, just post a composition or request that one already posted be entered.
6. Entries will be judged based on originality/novelty, humor, silliness, and fun.
7. All compositions will receive a detailed critique of at 30-50 words in length (if that matters to you) by the administrator
8. The prize for the winner will be the honor of winning.
9. The contest will end 10-31-14 and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced at this site shortly thereafter.
10. of course, all this is assuming anyone actually enters the contest...
This is probably my favorite group. What about you? :)
Laugh Silly is a group on Musescore. What is really meant by the question is: Can music that focuses on being silly just to provoke a laugh, music that seems to enjoy depreciation and decomposition as laugh-worthy themes, music that further seems to work hard at avoiding being serious, be considered a serious art form worthy of respect? And wouldn't this be totally counter to the point? How can anything that doesn't want to be serious, be considered serious? How can anything that doesn't want respect, accept any form of respect? How can anything that simply wants to be silly be an art form? Once it becomes serious, respectful, and an art form, it basically disintegrates and is no longer what it sets out to be. It is a quandary. Are we asking the wrong question?
various serious comments are allowed here since this is not such a silly site after all.